Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Friendly Advice



A dear friend wrote me this which I want to share with you:

"I know what it's like to be the "focus of ministry" for years on end... everyone praying over me, and counseling me, and telling me what I "needed"... and me just feeling stuck, and unable to apply what they told me... which only meant that shame was piled on TOP of how I already felt -- a failure, and a shame... what a lethal combination!

I KNOW Jesus has more for you - much more! I know He has wholeness for you. Salvation means "wholeness" at the most foundational level. It's not just "getting into heaven"... it's about living whole and free lives, NOW! It's a way of life... not so much an "arriving"... a continual renewal of the mind, more and more freedom being realized as He replaces each of our lies with His truth (the truth that truly does set us FREE!).

I've experienced this. I want you to experience this. You're no worse than anyone else... your experience with your husband hasn't crippled you any more than anyone else's pain. You're not defective. You're not beyond reach. And it's not something you can "strive" to accomplish... you can exhaust yourself trying to be "good enough"... it's not His way.

He wants you to know His heart toward you, and to live in the truth of that (not just head-knowledge). He wants you free to love others, and respond to them, rather than to react to how they trigger your old pain. He wants you able to fully participate in this life, reaching others for the Kingdom. He wants you to be able to raise your boys to be men of God... starting with boys who know firm and loving boundaries, who want to obey out of respect and love, who have their own wounds healed.

God can heal us, in the midst of others who haven't yet been healed... He can show us how to "disengage" from others, love them, and not get sucked into the old reactions to them. When the lies are gone, we can look through "fresh eyes", and the same ol' irritating stuff we see in others just doesn't have the same power!"

No comments: