Sunday, June 25, 2006

Victim No More


From the depths of despair
when my world fell apart
I felt all alone
and heavy in heart -
My life had been shattered
by a tight-fisted hand
Who could I turn to;
who'd understand?

He made me feel worthless
to the depths of my soul
I was just a possession
for him to control -
Always blaming me
whenever things went wrong
Though physical scars heal
emotional live on.

So with no self-esteem
and in a broken mess
I made a decision
about my happiness -
It took all my courage
that I could find
To make a stand for myself
and leave him behind.

Those first few months
were the loneliest I'd been
But I knew it was worth it
not to be hit again -
And in finding myself
I cried a river of tears
Learning to love me
and facing my fears.

Though the memory remains
but the hurt has gone
My scars have all healed
my emotions live on -
Over four years have passed
since I walked out that door -
No need to look back,
no fear anymore.

This is about my former marriage, both physically and emotionally abusive, and my courage to leave and rebuild my life. It wasn't easy, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
© Christina
15 August, 2000

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I repost this for my daughter?